Fashion

Thursday, June 25, 2009

BEAUTY BATTLES: BATTLE OF THE FOUNDATION PRODUCTS

For this edition of Beauty Battles, let’s look at two good foundation brands.

I found Shu Uemura and Kryolan in my stash.

Kryolan is my HG for foundation and here comes Shu Uemura, a promising contender in this category.  



L-R: KRYOLAN AND SHU UEMURA

Kryolan is the widely used brand for Film, T.V. and Theatre because of its very good coverage and staying power. It’s sweat- resistant and some variants (especially the Ultrafoundation) are almost waterproof so a lot of MUAs swear by this brand. I swear by their Supracolor palette, a popular variant in the Theatre. I love that the palette comes in a convenient slim metal case. In terms of pigment, this one is rich. It’s also buildable so you could control the amount of coverage depending on what you need. I’m also using their TV paint stick, which offers a much better coverage. The paint stick is so nice, you could literally change your skin color! The Supracolor refills might appear too small for some. But surprisingly, it lasts because a little goes a long way. Supracolor, Aquacolor and Ultrafoundation shades come in Ws (Pink tones), Ns (Brown tones) Ss (Olive tones) and a wide range of crayon colors in foundation perfect for fashion to avant- garde looks.

I can’t say much though for Shu Uemura since I’m not a fan of the line but I was quite impressed with the Face Architect foundation so I made this comparison.  

 

THE REAL DEAL:

I compared the 6W shade with the 734. As you can see, the Kryolan may be a little off than my normal skintone but it doesn’t look bad in person. It just enhances the color of your face by adding a bit of healthy color with the help of the Pink tone. The reason behind my choice for W shades is for my face to look healthy under stage lighting. These colors are designed to give you a natural- looking and a non- pale looking skin tone on stage because the lighting can wash off the colors of your make- up. It’s in cream form so it’s not messy, unlike Shu. Shu is apt for everyday wear because it blends into my skin tone perfectly and is lightweight on the face.

In terms of staying power, Kryolan is definitely the brand to beat. Shu can be comparable to Kryolan in terms of coverage. But if you sweat profusely, you might find a little caking on some parts of your face, especially the oily zones. Don’t worry, it’s where your pressed powders come in to solve the problem. Kryolan may be a little heavy on the face but since it’s buildable, applying a sheer amount could be the answer. Kryolan also has some consumer products like the HD Foundation (a friend swears by this) and their Ultrafoundation liquid. The Supra and Ultra variants are for professional use.

For everyday, I might switch to my Shu, but as far as my profession is concerned, Kryolan will definitely be the brand to beat for me. And not to mention, Kryolan is faaarr cheaper than Shu Uemura. Oh, and did you know that Kryolan manufactures the cosmetics of MAC, L’oreal, Bobbi Brown and Shu Uemura (which is under L’oreal)? There’s a little trivia for you my fellow Beauty Junkees.


THE WINNER FOR THIS EDITION IS: KRYOLAN J  



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Fashion