Fashion

Friday, April 24, 2009

an "exotic" location with a difference

US Vogue
May 2009
"India We Are"




I'm not usually a fan of those Vogue-typical eds that see the models in exotic locations, flouncing on the side of rickshaws or playing chess on the dusty streets with locals in a condescending and frankly irritating way.

This is also partly because I rarely find that the styling is enticing enough to make up for the unoriginal concept and location which are usually used as a backdrop to hammer home a tribal print or "neo explorer" trends.

Combine this with my distaste towards US Vogue and heck, I guess I better eat my own hat, because I rather like the May issue's "India We Are" story and Lakshmi Menon is completely stunning dancing on a hazy beach, increasing our thirst for the summer. Yes, I spy an ethnic print or two, but is it the fact that for once Vogue has selected a model to suit the location (Lakshmi after all lives in Goa) rather than plumping for Sasha or Lily that removes the previously patronising undertone? Whatever the formula, this time it works.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Fashion