Fashion

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Crescent Row - Benefit's Perfume Launch!

Every gal loves Benefit. The cheeky packaging of saavy beauty solutions makes getting dolled up a treat. So you can imagine how excited us beauty boffins got when invited to the launch of Crescent Row - Benefit's latest fragrance trio. Inspired by the exclusive strip of flats in Bath, England -each scent down to her floral topnote represents a different woman. There's the playful Laugh With Me LeeLee, go-getting Something About Sofia and seductive My Place or Yours Gina. What's more, the bottles are modelled on a great-aunt's Victorian cocktail flask! Too fabulous! Speaking of which, below is a taster of my chat with founding twins Jean and Jane Ford. These are two of the most funny and motivating women I've ever met and undoubtedly the secret behind the brand magic.

Crescent Row fragrances (30 ml/1 oz - €43) are on sale from July.

On the Ireland/Benefit love affair...


Jane: I think the Irish people have so much moxie. Irish women are hardworking, extremely colourful and so much fun to be with. They are so energetic - there is not one fibre in them that is not fully on.

Jean: I wanted to design for the working gal, the stay at home mom - whoever she is. But she has to have a funny bone. We've definitely found that in Ireland.

Jane: I was absolutely intrigued by the numbers in Ireland (Benefit's best selling region) and thought 'we've got to come over to Ireland and see what the magic is because it feeds our mojo.


On storytelling...

Jean: I think the Irish culture also lends itself very much to stories and lore which is what Benefit is all about.

Jean: Storytelling defines our products. From actively working in our shops for over 20 years, we had tales and we know what women wanted. As we stopped working in our boutiques and our brand became nationwide, we had to bring that enthusiasm for our customers the right cosmetics and the conversations we had in the boutiques into the product.

Jean: Years ago when we first started and had three stores, I was working at one of our tiniest stores. We had a female attorney come in and she was just all business. She would not sit down and listen to my yak yak. We could not talk. She said 'Don't try and sell me one more thing. I just came in for your mascara. I'm a very busy woman.' I just got into this Southern drawl and said 'being as your a woman in such a hurry, why don't you buy two mascaras and you can do both sets of lashes at the same time?' And she said 'That's a brilliant idea!' It's the culture of our company. We have an answer to everything!

On being twins...

Jane: I would describe Jean as really the quintessential creative person. If something passes her muster, then it's ok. She'll think of something that no one else will see. She won't settle for anything but the absolute best.

Jean: Jane on the other hand will look at critical reports and say 'that number is wrong'. She can look at a spreadsheet and find the number that doesn't make sense.

On Benefit beauty faves...

Jean: I would say That Gal. I think the primer is really smoothing. Even if you don't want to wear make-up, you don't have to after using That Gal. If you're going out with a guy and it's the first time you sleep together, you throw a little on and your complexion is nice and perky!

Jane: I quite like the combination of two products - Eye Con and High Beam. Mx a tiny bit of both and put it all over the complexion to get that moisturising 'glow' to the skin. It's fabulous.

Jean: Another thing I forgot is Lemon Aid (colour correcting eyelid primer). I get allergies where my nose and ears get really red. I use Lemon Aid on my lids to take away the discolouration. Equally, If your complexion gets flushed, it's great.

On choosing fragrance for the global launch...

Jean: When a gal walks into an elevator, men don't look at her face necessarily. The first thing a man picks up is a fragrance. Traditionally fragrances are the lure for food, the lure for everything.

Jane: We had the opportunity to launch three of something which is our biggest launch to date. We had to think "What is it going to be? What is our biggest lure". The obvious one was the lure of fragrance - your best accessory.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Fashion