Fashion

Saturday, January 9, 2010

defining devon aoki

[DEVON+AOKI.jpg]
I've never given Devon Aoki that much thought. I don't know an awful lot about her but it's occured to me that I'd subconciously and perhaps illegitimately placed her into the 'LA party girl' category. In hindsight, I couldn't tell you the basis of these perceptions; maybe I'd assumed she was a model whose previous edgy credentials had dissolved with roles in films like The Fast and The Furious. I just didn't have her down as the type of person to catch my attention or to be my cup of tea but after noticing her in some stand out Numero and Self Service Magazine editorials I've been intrigued.

A sift through her Fashion Spot thread has me scratching my head; I would never have had her down as the owner of an extensive (and enviable) collection of wide leg trousers (from silky coloured shrimp to denim Birkin-alikes) or modestly sexy spaghetti strap dresses.

Part of Devon Aoki's appeal (new found in my eyes..) is her unusual beautiful, and a quirkiness reminiscent of models like Missy Rayder and Guinveire Van Seenus.

This series of photographs by David Mushegain particularly stand out in my eyes; the wide brimmed hats, the 70s utility tunics, floorlength dresses and jumpsuits in Missoni stripes and Birtwell prints are all a feast for the eyes. And a perfect boho vibe for spring that steers clear of the Sienna Miller/Kate Moss associations and instead gives a nod to the past, of the more authentic and clean looks worn by and Michelle Phillips and even Jane Birkin.





images, fashiongonerogue

Check out her Fashion Spot thread:
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f52/devon-aoki-32928-95.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Fashion