Fashion

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

advent season: day nine: christmas mixtape

lynsey de paul-sugar me
drugrug- for the rest of your life
jefferson airplane-today
darwin deez-deep sea divers
elton john-benny and the jets
the do-the bridge is broken
the dears- 22: the death of all romance
david bowie-kooks
jefferson airplane-white rabbit

Sometimes I dismiss mix CDs as cliched and pretentious.
But then I give in and embrace the connotations of music snobs, think of High Fidelity, and how much I enjoyed the scene with John Cusack explaining the art of the mixtape. I remember all of the bands and tracks I've come to love after an introduction through a mix. NWA, The Pixies, Elliot Smith, Sebastien Tellier, April March; what if you had never made it onto the playlists my friends so lovingly burnt and passed on? The carefully hand illustrated covers would still lay in a stack in my room but the tracks that turned out to be my favourites would have floated around a musical abyss, unknown until discovery.

I may break the dry spell and make a few mixes again this Christmas and these are some of the tracks I'll be popping on there.

Which tracks are your mixtape essentials?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Fashion