Fashion

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

utilising pockets

Yesterday afternoon I spent an hour or so lying with Jim on the grassy bank that lies between each of our halls of residence. With the knowledge that my first wet and windy North West winter is just around the corner, it would be rude not to venture out and enjoy the crisp October sunshine which Manchester has been blessed with this week. We talked about a few things, the fact that the aloof games girls and boys play with each other are tedious but gloriously tantalising too. And our thoughts on Manchester a month after moving here. And tomato ketchup and grated cheddar as a lazy pasta sauce (I was eating it at the time.) And also pockets.

Karen Walker

Jim spoke about how over the past year he's been wearing shirts more and more and that he loves the practicality of having a chest pocket. When he traveled last year he would use it to store his tobacco and a notebook and any little essentials he needed to keep close by. But he feels like too much of a twat to repeat this little storage system when it comes to University, fearing the pretentious 'look, I smoke and I think' image that a notebook in a chest pocket gives off. During the course of this conversation I realised how much I really do love pockets and I suppose that this post has little purpose except to reiterate this. Lovely deep warm pockets big enough to store treasures or frosty fingers in wintertime. This photograph, taken by the brilliant Maya of Turned Out of the Spring 2011 Karen Walker collection only cements this pocket appreciation. Deep and pleasingly square they invite you to leave your handbag at home and carry those few essentials. As somebody who has admitted to having a bit of a Mary Poppins bag complex (see the 'Baggage Analysis' post below) I'm going to take a leaf out of Jim's book and utilise my pockets.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Fashion