Fashion

Saturday, November 14, 2009

a conversation with jen brill


Back in September, in the midst of London Fashion Week, something quite exciting happened. Infact, naturally during Fashion Week there were multiple moments worthy of girlish grinning but the personal relevance of this event made it all the more lovely. Following the buzz of the Topshop Unique show I decamped to my Aunt's flat for a chilled evening of worthy salad and cups of peppermint tea (any of you in need of a detox, you should really book yourself in for a week of looking after from 'Aunty Mary'). Watching Come Dine With Me, very possibly with a towel full of wet hair on my head and certainly in my pyjamas sans make up, I came across a direct message in my Twitter inbox. Upon closer inspection it was from the lovely Jen Brill (you all know that as far as I'm concerned Jen is cool as pie) who proceeded to tell me '
I am the BIGGEST fan of your blog! I read it every day and gush whenever you write about me. XXX'.

The next few seconds consisted of headfuck and a resolve to feel flattered big time. From there we exchanged a few emails and Jen agreed to take part in an interview for the blog. It only seemed natural to prod her into bestowing information about her lippie collection and style musings..
For those of you who don't know a lot about Jen, she is the Director of New Business Development at Fred and Associates in New York, very involved in the arts scene and general purveyor of stylistic splendors all at the same time.

So Jen, thank you once again for being such a good sport, it was a pleasure getting to interview you; you are a total babe.

How do you feel about the increasing attention you receive from the fashion blogging community?

It puts a smile on my face whenever there's a picture of me on Discotheque Confusion. I have a friend who subscribes to zillions of blogs-once in a while she'll forward a photo of me and I am so shocked and flattered that the young and cool 'blogging community' has me on their (your) radar. I almost fainted when you posted that letter to me!



How did you dress as a teenager; were there particular cultural references that influenced your style?

I wore a school uniform for most of my teenage years, but when I wasn't my favourites were cigarette pants from x-girl and motorcycle boots from NaNa. What I wish I had most is my KeroKeroKeroppi backpack- I took a stuffed animal and turned it into the smallest backpack ever! I still dream of it...



Many of your friends are frequently put under the style spotlight by bloggers. Do you all have a laugh about it?

Not at all. If anything, I'd call a girlfriend and scream 'Ahhhhh! You're on Discotheque Confusion today!!!' The only time I'll laugh at a post is when I'm called an 'It Girl' or a 'Socialite'. The definitions are a little foggy to me, but the last time I checked, I haven't been a girl in years and I don't spend my days playing dress up and partying (though I enjoy both on occasion). Hopefully people will start labelling me 'Career Woman' or 'Worker Bee'.



Your red lippie/glossy hair combo has become somewhat your trademark. Which shade of lipstick do you wear and do you have any hair advice?

My favourite red lipsticks are Chanel Rouge Allure Laque in Dragon and Chanel Hydrabase in Coco Red. As for hair, wash it and brush it?!

Do you abide by any style rules?
No way!



Whose style do you admire?
I think all of the women in David Lynch films have incredible style. Laura Dern and Isabella Rossellini in Wild at Heart, Sherilynn Fenn in Twin Peaks.. Another favourite is Exene Cervenka from the band X.

http://spb.fotolog.com/photo/43/49/114/sexy_cigarettes/1222715057463_f.jpg
laura dern in david lynch's wild at heart

Where do you buy your clothes from?
I love love Christopher Kane, Chanel, Proenza Schouler, Alexander Wang, , Balenciaga, Marios Schwab, Versus... Sophomore for the best t-shirts and pullovers. I buy most of my vintage from No 6 on Centre Market Place in New York and Exquisite Costume. My favourite shoe store is Edon Manor in TriBeca, my friend Ryan Korban owns it. I also love Opening Ceremony- they just opened up a department store in Japan!

Describe your perfect Saturday..
Is this a trick question? Nothing is perfect!

Which books do you recommend reading?
Dave Hickey's 'Air Guitar'. It's a collection of essays on everything from Las Vegas to Waylon Jennings

[jen+brill+chanel.jpg]
all images from varioud sources via the fashion spot

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Fashion