Fashion

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Inside Style - Christmas Jumpers

Inside Style by Annmarie O'Connor - as featured in The Dubliner - December 9th

Christmas jumpers.  Apparently they’re all the rage.  As disturbing as this may be, there’s a theory for the trend’s increasing popularity. It’s thought that in times of economic downturn, people take solace in laughter and nostalgia. This could also mean that Ryan Tubridy is either an early fashion adapter or had an inkling about the IMF bail-outs for about two years. Either way, he should be approached with caution.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all for irony and rather delight in the subtext of a Jean Charles de Castelbajac dollar bill dress but the idea of stitching Santa on a sweater is just a purl below my level of parody. Then again, I’m also the gal who ran out to buy clogs last season, so who am I to judge?

If the zeitgeist is an accurate barometer, I could well be a bitter (-ly cold) curmudgeon.  Over 11,500 Facebook users belong to the Christmas Jumpers group with its ‘gammy’ counterpart garnering almost 2,000. As for flash mobs, Galway’s Latin Quarter is playing host to its own Christmas Jumper Day on December 10th with prizes for the worst Cliff Richard-inspired knitwear. Rumour has it there’s even an underground movement of Tacky Christmas Sweater Parties on the rise. Top tip: read the fine print any invitation ‘dress code’.

I suppose this would explain the popularity of Funkychristmasjumpers.com, a website started by three Glasnevin lads who saw a gap in the novelty market at €39.99 a pop, bucking incessant tales of recessionary woe.  And it’s not just knee jerk politics at play, the style set are in on the act too. D&G and Ralph Lauren Polo both feature Fair Isle pullovers and cardigans brandishing snowflakes and reindeer; although admittedly no mince pie sightings were reported on the a/w 10 runways.

It looks like there’s real commerce in kitsch which would explain the fascination with Cliff Richard. After all, Colin Firth’s ‘Bridget Jones’ reindeer jumper did fetch £1,900 at Chrstie’s, London (even if it was for charity).  This leads me to believe I’m not such a cynical old broad. In fact, I’m right on the money. It’s ironic to think that our national money diet has spawned the most unlikely fashion enterprise. How and ever, if I see the sight of an Easter Bunny roll neck come April, I’m emigrating.


Adendum: I just came across this blog which says it all - Craftastrophe - check it out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Fashion