Fashion

Monday, August 11, 2008

AA is getting ripped off left, right and centre.


Most of us unanimously agree that fashions are formed on the streets, not the catwalks.
Scrolling through images from a new season of collections will usually produce a few "hey!" moments, when you notice designers channeling a look that has long been a cult hit, rattling around on the streets.

“Bodysuits” have hit the shelves along with the new fall ranges at topshop and asos that seem rather familiar, and they smell a little like American Apparel too.

Now, I’m not claiming that AA invented the leotard, but as a company known for it’s speciality in basics and dance-style designs it all seems a little too good coincidental to be true.

Two tone bodycon dresses and tee shirts are also making an appearance in the current H and M stock. As a loyal customer of the native Los Angeles brand, I feel a little peeved, mostly because it’s a brand that I love buying from (genius design aside) because I know that the pieces are produced ethically, where workers are paid decent wages and offered plenty of perks in return from the company, including bonuses, and a chance to share American Apparel’s growing profits.


So when Topshop and H and M amble over, after a piece of the action, with their cheaper prices and questionable means of production, and offer customers cheaper prices than American Apparel, I find myself groaning with frustration.




On the one hand, I tell myself, that it is all about business, and Topshop in particular is always on top of the fashion curve, and this is simply what they’re doing; keeping up and coming up with designs that are in demand. But, is anyone else groaning a childlike “but it’s not fairrr” with images of sweatshops in god-knows-where city drumming out thinning pocket dresses and leotards for a couple of pence a day?

I know, I have mixed a couple of issues for this thought, and I have the tendency to get a little emotional (not boo-hoo, just stressed..) about how the clothes on our high street are made, but it seems relevant in this case, as American Apparel is, unusually, out and proud and sweatshop free.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Fashion